September 22, 2015

Body Image {Motherhood Challenges Series}



Becoming a mother is an earth shattering experience. If you haven't been through it, there really is no way to explain it. Honestly. Besides having the precious little bundle of joy and the excitement of being a mother, there are a lot of things a woman goes through. 

After growing this gorgeous belly and having everyone admire your body's ability to house a human, all of a sudden you are empty. You have nothing but flab skin and stretch marks, your hair is falling out and your breasts are leaking milk. What has happened, you may ask yourself? Where am I in all this? Who's this tired and frazzled woman starring at me in the mirror?

All those things are normal and part of the deal.

After having my first baby, I was super upset and almost hated the way my body looked. I gained too much weight and on top of that, had a C-section which made healing that much more painful physically and emotionally. There were stretch marks and lots of silent tears in the shower. I did not appreciate what my body has done and wanted my old self back. Desperately.

It took time and lots of patience to feel like myself again.


This time around, I took care of myself and was kind to my body all throughout my pregnancy. I ate healthy, exercised and didn't gain above what I should. But I still have loose skin and a flabby belly which will take time to disappear. And even though I look better, it's my attitude and thoughts that changed. 

I appreciate my body's ability to grow a human being.  I marvel at the fact that I was able to give birth naturally and the incredible feeling that it gave me. 


I love my curves and that soft belly that once held my precious little girl. I enjoy the fact that my ankles are back and don't look like elephant feet anymore (ha!). I love being able to breastfeed my child and laugh every time I get a let down. 

I know that it takes time to lose the baby weight but I'm not in a hurry. I'm enjoying this season of life because I know it goes by way too fast.

Honestly, having a positive body image is not about size or number on the scale, it's about feeling comfortable in your own skin. I'm happy with the way my body looks right now and what it has accomplished. I know I'm not perfect, and never want to be. Those curves remind me that this body brought two amazing individuals into the world and that's something to be celebrated (with a giant piece of cake;-).

10 comments :

  1. What a beautiful post. I'm not a mother, and I can't imagine how much it can change a person.

    Alyssa | Glitter and Grey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alyssa! it really is amazing

      Delete
  2. I think this is such a great post. I do not have children, but I have friends who have struggled after giving birth because of similar reasons. I am glad your thoughts changed for this time around!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darcy! It's a difficult but amazing time

      Delete
  3. aw this is a great post. im sure a lot of mommies can relate!
    XO Ellen from Ask Away
    www.askawayblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen... It's so different for everyone:)

      Delete
  4. Truly beautiful! Your self-love is so admirable and inspirational :)
    <3
    katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathleen! I have come a long ways

      Delete
  5. You said it best: an earth-shattering experience. But you are doing great. I love these motherhood posts, babe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful and inspiration post Anna. I am glad you appreciate your body for what it has gone through and is now and that you are comfortable and happy now. You look lovely!
    Rachel xo
    Garay Treasures

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment - I appreciate your support!

BLOG DESIGN BY BELLA LULU INK