April 27, 2012

Hillbilly Breakfast

Last Sunday night we went out to our friends' house and had breakfast for dinner. My girlfriend is a great cook of all things breakfast and made a delicious hash brown casserole, which I haven't mastered yet. She also made biscuits and gravy and, let me tell you, those were the best biscuits and gravy I have ever had. So the boys devoured the food (I had only 2) and I was left with a craving for more.  Today I finally had the time to make some. My recipe is a combination of Pioneer Woman's Biscuits and Gravy and what I saw my friend do on Sunday (I was hanging in the kitchen with the girls).




So here it is:
10oz pork sausage (or ground pork)
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp sausage fat
1/4 cup of flour
3 cups of 2%milk
8 biscuits
salt and pepper

Place the sausage into a warm skillet and cook through until there is no more pink. Drain sausage and reserve the fat. In a clean skillet melt butter, then add flour constantly whisking on medium heat. Cook roux until it's starting to change color and getting a little yellow. At this point put the biscuits in oven and follow the directions on the box. Start adding more milk a little at a time on low/medium heat. (DO NOT add all the milk at a time, you will get clumps). While whisking the roux add more milk and stirring  to make sure it's all absorbed until you run out of milk. Cook the sauce on low heat, adding 1tbsp of pork fat, salt and pepper to taste. Add sausage to the sauce and mix well. Once your biscuits are done, you are ready to devour this goodness and never to look back!
I served them with scrambled eggs and OJ.
Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment - I appreciate your support!

BLOG DESIGN BY BELLA LULU INK