April 30, 2012

Serving Tray (DIY)


So here is a long promised DIY project, well, more like a make over. I was doing a Baby Shower for my girlfriend and needed a serving tray for decorations. Instead of buying one, I decided to Do It Myself because I would make it exactly the way I wanted it.

You Will Need:

  1. Serving tray 
  2. Spray Paint (color of your choice)
  3. Gloves
  4. Newspaper/old magazines
  5. Card stock (the harder, the better)
  6. Super Glue


I went to a thrift store and bought an old serving tray in ugly red and yellow, layered my J.Crew catalog underneath the tray to protect the porch from over spray, threw on a pair of gloves and got to work.


The trick with spray paint is you have to be patient and use multiple coats, otherwise you will end up with runs. First coat was just a white primer. But I didn't want it to be white, so I had off-white color spray paint (donated to me by my father-in-law) which I used.


After I thoroughly covered the tray with first coat, I let it dry for about 30 minutes. Then I did two more coats of beige (off-white) with couple of hours of drying time in between.
I bought card stock at Hobby Lobby that would nicely match the beige and serve me well after the party is over. I picked out a nice vintage pattern and cut it to the size of the tray. Next, to make sure that the paper will be secured and the surface would remain smooth, I glued it on with super glue (make sure to keep your gloves on and don't use glue gun).

TA-DA!!!


Note for Self: Make sure you are paying attention to the gluing part and not talking to your mother while doing it. See how the pattern went from horizontal to vertical? Yeah, not good... and super glue isn't nice when it's being ripped off.


Here it is being used at the Baby Shower





Another way to style it! There are so many ways to use it that I'm already excited by how nice it came out.
(I DIY the flower pot below with spray paint too)


I hope you liked this! Enjoy! 

1 comment :

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment - I appreciate your support!

BLOG DESIGN BY BELLA LULU INK