July 19, 2012

Pleasantly Surprised

The lady with the umbrella and I.
The Hotel Minsk
My gorgeous cousin and I
The alley above the underground mall completed with fountains and glass domes
  
Blinchiki are the Russian version of crepes but better. These are served with blueberry preserves
The decor was amazing! Done to resonate with the old Russian house with all its quirks 
Can you tell I'm enjoying my food like a lot? 
Minsk is the capitol of Belarus, the biggest city in the country and pretty much the center of everything that there is in this little country in the middle of Europe. It's like a mini version of New York City but with pretty much the same prices (comparing salary and standard of living wise). 
It was cold and gloomy but we (my cousin was showing me around) made the most of it. Apart from the signs being in Russian and a different currency, walking through an underground mall for couple of hours felt like home away from home. And it was as expensive as home too. Honestly, I don't know how people live, eat and dress here - it's literally crazy expensive for them. 
We had a great time buying souvenirs, Belarusian candy, going out to eat and buying more presents. The going out to eat  part was the best. I didn't expect to have such nice facilities and great food but yes, the era of cold war is over and Minsk is living up to the best European standards. The city is spotless, there are blooming flower beds and baskets everywhere and the people are actually nice. Yes, you heard it right. Honestly, we might go back for another trip through the city just admiring old architecture and visiting a museum. 
I hope you guys are having a great week, although you are not visiting one of the oldest cities in eastern Europe. 

P.S. Thanks for reading!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment - I appreciate your support!

BLOG DESIGN BY BELLA LULU INK