January 14, 2013

Crepes {recipe}


I have been craving crepes lately. 
It goes like this: 'Womb service. Yes, Can I please order some crepes filled with farmers cheese and strawberries. What's that? Whipped cream? Suuuure... send that can of whipped cream up!"
So, I have been making them every night, and the hubs loves it.
He loves the new and improved, always-hungry version of myself. 
He is benefiting a great deal from this whole pregnancy thing and keeps saying that maybe I shouldn't go to work after all, stay at home and make delicious food, while I'm making babies. Well that's new.
This recipe is as simple and easy as it gets. In Russian food there is a version of these, but much fattier and has sour cream in the batter.
I like them both ways but this is my go-to recipe. 
We eat them as a dessert (above picture) or plain for breakfast. Whatever you fancy, can dress them up with everything from fruit to Nutella. 

Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- pinch of salt

In a medium mixing bowl sift together flour, sugar and salt. In a separate bowl beat the eggs with fork and add milk to combine. Pour the milk mixture into flour while constantly mixing it with a whisk. Don't stop until there are no more lumps left. If needed add a little more water/milk. The batter should even consistency and not thick.


Heat up a small non-stick frying pan on medium heat and coat it with a butter. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and swirl evenly. 


***You don't need to use spoon/spatula to smooth it out, just swirl until the entire pan is coated with batter and it isn't moving anymore. 
Allow 1 minute on the first side and when flipped, about 30 seconds on the other. 

Cheese Filling:
- 1/2 lb  of farmer's cheese 
- 1 tbsp whipped cream cheese
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix the farmer's cheese and cream cheese together, then add sour cream, next add sugar and vanilla. Place 1 tbsp (or more ;-) of cheese mixture into each crepes and fold. 


Melt about 1 teaspoon of butter in a skillet and sauté the folded cheese crepes on medium heat until light brown on both sides. They don’t take long to sauté. Be careful not to burn them.

Refrigerate crepes that aren't being served.  They keep in the fridge for almost one week, or you can freeze them up to 2 months. Sometimes I make couple batches and freeze them for easy breakfast solution later.

Wash strawberries and cut into desired pieces. Add a little bit of strawberry preserves or topping and mix. Pour strawberries into crepes, sprinkle with almonds and top with whipped cream. 


Enjoy!
...then go back for seconds. 






8 comments :

  1. Yum! Looks delicious.
    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't stop eating them... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, those looks so good- i love love crepes. Thanks for stopping by my blog! You are so sweet!

    Shelby
    http://brandonandshelby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you for coming over and checking out my blog. :-)

      Delete
  4. Those look so amazing. Why do my crepes never turn out that perfect? I can tell you, my family would be in heaven if I made crepes that much. We reserve them for Valentines Day :)

    creamyclothes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't spoil those boys too much... I think they are perfect for an occasional sunday brunch :)

      Delete
  5. These look so so good! I love crepes. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    Have a great day :)

    - Talia
    http://rubytiaradiaries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment - I appreciate your support!

BLOG DESIGN BY BELLA LULU INK