October 11, 2012

Parenting in Overzealous World



top: TJMaxx, cardigan: Gap, pants: Loft, shoes: Aldo, bag: Kate Spade NY
I'm obviously in love with my polka dot burgundy pants (while they still fit:-) 
Preparing for arrival of our little man, my hubby and I got very responsible. Not that we aren't responsible college educated adults with jobs, but knowing that we are going to be responsible for another life... I mean, that's a whole another ball game. 
I have been reading parenting books and must say, nothing makes you feel like an inadequate adult than reading one of them. There are millions of different perspectives on whether to have a feeding schedule or just go with on-demand feedings. Different authors swear by their methods of getting an infant to sleep through the night by three months old. Then there are the gender differences between raising boys and girls. 
My head is spinning already. 
I love getting educated and being an expert on subject matter but the truth is, you cannot fully prepare for parenthood until it happens. You can read all the books in the world but until you hold that precious little baby in your hands, you don't know how you are going to feel, react and discipline that child. 
With that being said, I'm not against books - just think that sometimes, going with your gut and common sense is more important than what Dr. Whatever-His-Name said.

Here is what I'm reading now... 
Bringing Up a Bebe - one the of the best, funny and interesting books I've read. It's not a book of methods or how-tos, just a summary of life abroad. 

Strong Willed Child - Dr. Dobson is my favorite writer on family and children, I respect him immensely, so this book was a no-brainer

Parent Babble - have we had too much psychology and 'expert' advice? It seems that our grandparents did a fine job bringing up the most successful generation of adults in history of our country, why not do what they did? Just started it and love it already

Heads Up for J.Crew Sale offering extra 30% off... time to stock up on those sweaters...



3 comments :

  1. You look so cute! Congratulations on the new arrival:) I read so many baby books before my first was born but somehow as soon as he arrived I just knew what to do. Mother's instinct I guess!

    Raj
    Pink Chai Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think it happens to everyone... We get all obsessed about the right way of doing it, but when baby is there you just do what's right for you and your child

      happymedley.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. I love those polkadot pants!! so cute

    run-style-run.blogspot.com
    have a giveaway right now on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment - I appreciate your support!

BLOG DESIGN BY BELLA LULU INK