February 22, 2013

Mama Hurts, So You Don't Have To


We are home now. We are trying to nurse. As in, Jonathan is doing well - eating a lot, pooping even more but it's mama who's in pain. Let me just lay it out there. Breastfeeding hurts. A LOTSupposedly, it doesn't when you get the latch right, but how do you make a newborn open his mouth as wide as his face? It's not a pleasant feeling - so far lots of pain and biting my lips so I wouldn't cry.But it's getting better. Slooowly.
I've always believed that nursing is a natural and most beautiful thing but it sure doesn't feel that way yet.
It takes a lot of practice and right now we are not very good at it.
Let's be honest, your boobs (there I said it) weren't sucked on, tugged and pulled at ever before and now they have to stand that abuse every 2-3 hours. Whoah
I want only the best for my little boy and willing to suffer through this but at 3 am when I'm clenching my teeth and trying not to take the precious food source out of his mouth (which he utterly enjoys, judging by the suckling sounds he makes), I feel like quitting.
But then I look at his precious little face and remember that only I can give him the best start in life. Only I can provide the precious nutrition, love and care and no one else.
It's hard but it's ohhh so worth it.
Motherhood is tough and there is nothing in the world that's so difficult and rewarding at the same time.



5 comments :

  1. I remember like it was yesterday all the PAIN that involved in the first month of "getting the hang of" breastfeeding... It was tough and remember how I wanted to quit so bad after about two weeks. But I'm glad I had mom encourage me. And look at Zoe now so healthy and chunky.! So glad I didn't quit till way later. Hang in there it DOES get easier!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to kick the couch with my heal to get over th pain and to keep from squeezing my boy. It hurt a lot!! Have you thought about trying nipple shields? They help in some cases!!!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Anna! Your little boy looks so handsome. He is such a precious little bundle! I'm sure you will be a great Mommy, since you're already sacrificing for his good. I really enjoy reading your blog. You have so many cute outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. really amazing picture, he is so little and so cute!:)
    xx Kate

    The Style Department

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh!!!! Very recently one of my friends had a baby and she too complained that it hurts when the child breast feeds!!! But then, your baby needs you! You're everything he's got! :)
    FASHION PANACHE BLOG

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment - I appreciate your support!

BLOG DESIGN BY BELLA LULU INK