February 26, 2013

The Birth Story

This picture was taken right before we headed out to the hospital. 
I mean, how much bigger can you get when he kid is getting over-baked?
Not much more. 
I have been laying sleepless through couple nights thinking if I wanted to share this part of my life. I am a private person (with a personal life style blog, I know), and want to keep some of the very intimate and private details of this to myself  But I do want to share the incredible experience that brought my son into this world. (I still can't believe I'm saying the words 'my son')
As you may know I was overdue. I mean seven days isn't that long but it felt like an eternity to me. 
My last sonogram showed that he was 8lb and 13oz which isn't always accurate and usually +/- a pound. It's the plus side I was afraid off. There are many risks to waiting up to two weeks past due date but we know that babies don't go by our time. They just have a mind of their own. 
I was struggling between waiting him out couple more days and taking all those risks, or going for induction and taking more risks. Either way, it wasn't going to be an easy decision. 
Hubby was leaving the decision in my hands but after talking it through and praying, we decided to get the show on the road. 
On the way to the hospital my heart was racing and I had butterflies in my stomach.
So there was checking in and settling in, getting all the important info down and checked by the doctor. My cervix wasn't ripe enough, so that was the first step at 4pm. The medication was supposed to take about 12 hours to work and the next morning I would be ready for Pitocin ( I was not ready for it).
But my body decided otherwise. By 9pm my water broke and contractions were 2-3min apart by 11 pm. I was dilating very fast, so there was no time like the present to ask for epidural. 
Yes, I'm a big chicken. Hubby says I yelled pretty loud when contractions hit. The pain of the needle in your back is nothing compared to those awful contractions. 
So I got the epidural just in time because by 3am I was fully dilated and effaced, ready to push. 
That's when the trouble came.
Our baby didn't want to come out. He was fighting me with all his might, because his heart rate dropped half of what it was supposed to be only after three pushes. Doctor thought maybe it would jump up once I wasn't pushing but it was taking him long time to recover. 
          More of the same and she said that I will have to push for a while and he isn't tolerating the labor. 
But he had to come out. 
I cried. We cried. I begged to let me wait him out a little and maybe he will decide to show up. She did.
Forty five minutes later, the same story. 
So basically, there was no choice - push and risk him having brain damage or C-Section. 
I cried more, while they were rolling me into OR.
By 4:43 am he was born - healthy, happy and very alert. 
By 5-ish I was holding him in my arms and nursing my little man. Still in shock of what has happened, exhausted but happy.
More tears, more joy, more happiness.
Still happening to this day.


  1. Oh Anna, I am so happy to hear that despite the bumps along the way, both mama and baby are happy & healthy. From hearing this story, I KNOW you are one strong woman, and have a lifetime of joy with your sweet sweet boy!

  2. He is soooo precious!!


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment - I appreciate your support!