September 25, 2013

The Mistakes We Make



blouse: Vince Camuto
skirt watch: Target
purse: Kate Spade
shoes: Tahari
glasses: DKNY
I'm the type of person who has played it safe all my life. I haven't made any 'big', life-altering mistakes and stayed on the 'good girl'side. But there are plenty of times when I have made a mess.

The worst mistake that I made was in 10th grade. No really. I was taking my Russian language exam (should be easy right?) but was too distracted with church activities (ready: lazy) to write an essay on a topic of my choice. I went online and downloaded a good looking (too perfect) paper about the last Tsar in Russia and submitted it. So dumb! Did I really think I wouldn't get caught? 
The thing is that I could write a stellar paper in Russian language without any problems. 
But I was lazy and ignorant, thinking I was better then anyone else, that I wouldn't get caught.

Upon receiving the paper, the grading teacher, of course, knew I copied it off internet. She was really kind to give me another chance instead of reporting me for cheating. I was so embarrassed and felt HORRIBLE. Which I should.
I went home and wrote the paper (all by myself) without telling a soul about what happened and received 98% on the exam.
I told this story to only one person and kept this moment of shame to myself. 

What's the lesson(s)?
First no matter what, do what's right.  And not just because you will get caught but because it is the right thing to do. 
Second, learn from your mistakes. I learned that mercy trumps judgement; that giving people second ( and third) chances will humble them and teach them life's greatest lessons.
God gives us second (and third, fourth... and millionth) chance to change and we still mess up. Thank goodness for His mercy.
The mistakes we make help shape us into the people we are today. 

2 comments :

  1. I've always stayed on the "good girl side," too. :) Of course, that hasn't kept me from making plenty of mistakes as well! At least your teacher let you redo it! That's probably one of the perks of being a good girl... when you do make a mistake people are usually pretty forgiving because it seems so out of character. :) You are so right about second (and more) chances. We are forgiven over and over, so many times, but it can be too easy to forget to offer the same forgiveness to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100% — it's so out of character for good kids to do bad things that they're willing to give you chances they wouldn't necessarily give everyone. I experienced that too! And I have to say, that was very cool of the teacher to give a second chance. Great post Anna!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment - I appreciate your support!

BLOG DESIGN BY BELLA LULU INK